12/02/2005

Thought Process Per Move

I've noticed many of my fellow bloggers have tried to describe/refine their fundamental thought process on a per move basis. Before I begin to describe my thought process I want to point out a fundamental difference I know exists between those that I've read and the thought process I use. I don't claim to know which way has the right of it.


The difference
All of the thought processes I've read start with step 1: check threats, ascertain what my opponent is trying to do.
And immediately this is where I differ with most people's process. My process is usually centered around "a plan"(tm). Perhaps because, having a plan has been drilled into me for so long. The first thing I do after my opponent moves is step 1: Check whether opponents move hinders/restricts/stops my plan. I guess its a different mindset, but I'm primarily concerned with what *I* can do to win the game.



My Thought Process

  • Check whether opponents move hinders/restricts/stops my plan.If it does hinder my plan, see how my plan must change or develop new plan.
  • Check for any threats that MUST be dealt with before continuing with my plan.
  • If necessary look for a move that deals with opponents threat.
  • Otherwise look for a move that furthers my plan.
  • Check any available checks, and hanging peices for available tactics to win material.


  • As I work more on the tactical part of my game I'm sure my thought process will change. This is that thought process that has developed over the course of training mostly with Silman and Keres/Kotov books.

    No comments: