12/02/2005

Starting down the MDLM (Primrose) Path

OK so if I'm going to do this I ought to do it pretty much the way MDLM laid it out. So here is my plan.

Starting Dec 4th I will begin 14 days of doing the Concentric Squares Excercises.
Dec 18th I will begin the knight movement excercises and continue for 14 days.

This will bring me to New Years Day. What a great round date to start the 7 Circles of Tactical Problem Solving Hell. Which works out pretty perfect as it can be 1. A New Years resolution, 2. I don't need to have the software until after Xmas... which is important to my wife since apparently that's all I'm getting for Xmas.

The First Circle will run from
Jan 1 - March 5th

2nd Circle
March 6th - April 7th

3rd Circle
Apr 8th - Apr 24th

4th Circle
Apr 25th - May 3rd

5th Circle
May 4th - May 7th

6th Circle
May 8th - 9th

7th Circle
May 10th

Of course the last few circles will probable need to be spaced out so they fall on weekends but we will get to that. In any case I should be done right around my 33rd birthday. For what its worth I'm going to call my initial rating 1550. I do this because I have ratings all over the place... from USCF, FICS, Timeforchess.com, ICC, Playchess, Caissa.com and even a club membership.

I normally say I'm a 1600 player but I'm taking off 50pts because I took such a long break before making a return this time and that seems to be about the average of my various ratings. Plus a number of my ratings are provisional since I'm playing at different sites this time than the last time I was serious submerged into the chess world.

So thats the plan. I'm not overly known for sticking to work regimens like this so wish me luck.

3 comments:

Calvin said...

i really like your blog, and i liked your recent post about thought processes. but may i ask you, how do you come up with a plan? is it with the imbalances, or something else? just wondering. good luck with your circles.

Jeff said...

Generally I am concidering the imbalances.. or in closed positions the pawn pointing technique. My plans are seldom really specific. I try to improve one of my minor peices, or increase my space on one side of the board. What I've found is that once you find one plan to work on in a game (following silmans techniques) your plan continually adapts and transforms almost on its own.

My hope is that intensive tactical training will help me be more successful in bringing my plans to successful conclusions.

Calvin said...

alright, sounds good. i think i'll try it myself. :)