12/11/2006

Club Night! Or..

How to get beat up by "old men" and lose your lunch money.

It started out poorly.. when the Illustrious Sci-Fi author, Kinzel, ridiculed my taste in fantasy literature then pounded me with his obscure opening.



I'd analyze but I think you can see I just frankly stunk the joint up and lost badly within 15 moves.

Then in the night cap (since the first game was so fast) Ed showed me how not to play the French Defense. I think in retrospect I shouldn't have played c4.. even if it did when a tempo at the time I played it. I made mistake after mistake tonight.




We post mortemed the game afterwards and think I possibly had drawing chances if I play the ending right, but thats ONLY after he missed the killer rook fork on my queen and bishop.

Just think.. I paid a dollar to sit in a cold church and take this abuse!

2 comments:

katar said...

I always feel like a jerk when giving a suggestion, but here goes anyway:

In both games, way too many pawn moves in the opening. You're better off getting one or 2 pawns in the center, then getting all the pieces out. :)

Jeff said...

I'd agree about the first game. It was almost like I was being compelled to make horrid moves in that game. Not sure why. I normally play any of those wing gambit openings with e4, d4 and develop to support the center.

As for the second game I'm quite comfortable with how I played the opening. 1.. e6 2.. d5 3.. c5 is pretty standard French Defense. Its probably the one opening I am somewhat comfortable playing.