11/28/2006

Return to Waterville Chess Club

So last night I went to the club for the first time in about 9 months. Must be winter again. I was a bit late and ended up the odd man out, so I watched the games until one finished and then I played a bunch of blitz games with a couple of folks.

They roped me into signing up for the "club championship tournament" which is apparently a double round-robin format G/90 time control. Basically the goal is to play all your games by some date in March informal pairings. Just grab someone each week and try to get a game in. Gives me something to be focused on though, a reason to put effort into chess. We'll see if I can stick to showing up every week though. Sometimes that commitment is tougher than it should be.

Meanwhile I observed this position in a post mortem last night and thought it was fun.


Chess diagram of FEN 2n4k/4P2p/5P1P/7K/2p2B2/2Pr4/8/6R1
Black to Move


Is it a draw?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not anonymous, and I still say white should win, even though I was black in the position...

Jeff said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm sure your right. If you could remove the knight Im not so sure though. Anyway I thought it was an interesting position.

Anonymous said...

white has a very strange resource...
which is rook to n8ch