11/22/2005

Rooks can dominate knights


I've played chess for a long time, and I've always known that a Rook is better than a Knight. Of course every 2nd grader knows that, but what I didn't know till I saw a diagram like this recently was that a Rook can dominate a Knight completely taking it out of the game. This also illustrates why Knights belong in the center. The Rook could not bully the Knight so badly like this if the Knight was more centralized.

It should be noted that the Queen can dominate the Knight the same way. Notice that the right square to be on to do this is the square that is 2 space diagnol to the Knight. I've always known that the square 2 spaces diagnol to the Knight is the safest square to be on if your trying to avoid being attacked by the Knight as it takes at least 4 moves to get to this square for the knight. This knowledge comes in really handy in blitz chess. Its one of the basic patterns you can master at the chess board.

No comments: