8/08/2007

Thought Process Needs Work

In this position I made the obvious 2 Exclam !! winning move...

Fen Position 2k1rr1q/1ppb4/p7/2P2P2/1P1PPQpp/P1N5/6PP/R4RK1

1. Nd5!! ... and white wins right?

WRONG

I overlooked the only refutation.. 1. ... Qxd4+ !!

Which makes 1. Nd5?

The thing that really burns me though is how obvious the refutation move is. I SHOULD have seen it because it involves giving check. In 4th grade my chess coach always taught us, before you make ANY move ensure your opponent cannot give check, mate or have any other threats, but specifically check.

/sigh

3 comments:

Blue Devil Knight said...

I have been playing slow games again, and this is one of my most common mistakes. I hardly ever leave pieces en prise, but I neglect to consider checks, almost always because I am really caught up in a brilliant plan. I don't know what causes this blind spot, but I am trying to remind myself to double check (i.e., check for checks).

Jeff said...

I was talking about chess with a friend who is teaching his son to play the other day. He asked me to describe how good I was. I found it difficult to make a frank evaluation of my own play.

My final answer was, I think I have a better understanding of chess today than ever. I see more tactically, I understand positional concepts today that never even occurred to me when I was 16. However, I struggle at 35 maintain my concentration and consistently make good moves.

Chessiq (Steve) said...

I saw you say "obvious" and I was like... Nd5 loses! (I agree it is easy to miss.) The best I could come up with was Rad1 supporting the pawn or f6 blocking the path of the Queen, but then Black can consolidate the defense.
My observation is that these blunders usually happen when you have a winning position and you become less observant of your own weaknesses.
Thanks for sharing!